David Moorcroft was chief executive of UK Athletics for 10 years ('97-2007). UK Athletics is the governing body for athletics in the UK, affiliated to the IAAF which is the world governing body. Specifically it is responsible for:
- All aspects of governance including competition rules and procedures relating to functions such as athletes welfare, child protection, health and safety and anti-doping.
- The development of the wider strategies to promote athletics at all levels from grass roots through to elite competitions.
David took the organisation from the brink of bankruptcy (then the British Athletic Federation) to become the most commercially successful athletics governing body in the world. Milestone achievements included:
- Building the organisation to a turnover of £20 million, over 100 staff and many thousands of volunteers.
- Growing the Norwich Union sponsorship to £50m, the biggest single sponsorship in British sport outside of football
- Attracting the BBC back in to covering domestic athletics after a break of thirteen years. The BBC cover every element of athletics from grassroots through to Olympic Games - no other sport is "owned" by one major broadcaster in such a unique way.
- Increasing the investment in grass roots athletics to well over £3m a year with an additional £80m of public investment in outdoor and indoor facilities. This is the biggest public investment of any sport in the UK
- With the retirement of previous stars, fostering the emergence of a new generation of athletes at the 2006 European Championships and IAAF World Junior Championships, with a particular focus on achieving success at London 2012.
David started his career as a middle distance runner alongside such luminaries as Steve Cram, Seb (now Lord) Coe and Steve Ovett. He competed in 3 Olympics and highlights of his career include a Commonwealth Gold in the 1500m, the European Record in 3000m and the World and British Record in the 5000m (the latter of which still stands).
After retiring he joined the BBC commentary team and also worked with a variety of regional and national sporting bodies, culminating in his appointment at UK Athletics.
He is regularly asked to speak at corporate events around the country, giving keynote presentations, performance workshops and management coaching. With his achievements both on and off the track, David provides a unique insight into:
- Building and developing high performance teams in small and large organisations
- Developing a business where sponsorship revenue is a major income stream
- Growing relationships with government (national and international) and industry.
- Media management - facing up to the good and bad times
Capita - David played and spoke at their annual golf day in May 2008
"Thank you so much for attending our ATP Awards ceremony and giving an inspiring and excellent speech. We've had loads of positive feedback from colleagues who really enjoyed your presentation and the opportunity to meet you!"
Buckinghamshire County Council on David Moorcroft OBE - March 2008
"For someone with your record of achievement to talk with us about the importance of our organisational values had a big impact on everyone attending. I personally was inspired by your advice and will remember a number of key elements...for a very long time. I know I was not alone in taking a great deal out of the afternoon - the feedback was universally positive."
Which? on David Moorcroft July 2007